If you are expecting a scholarly exegisis on why you should use a semi-colon as opposed to a colon, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Not me. This will give you more confidence in your writing.

Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices. "—Mignon Fogarty, author of Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing, "This is a valuable tool for my journalism students. There is barely anything about conjugation and verb tenses for instance. For anyone who wants to understand the major rules and subtle guidelines of English grammar and usage, The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation offers comprehensive, straightforward instruction. JANE STRAUS (1954 - 2011) was an educator and best-selling author with extensive experience teaching English to adult learners. That's money well spent and for the author, it's kind of funny to write a review about a grammar book knowing all the mistakes I'm making in the review! Find all the books, read about the author, and more.

Amazon Business: For business-only pricing, quantity discounts and FREE Shipping.

Unable to add item to List. Please try again. "I can't believe a PhD has to study grammar". An indispensable tool for writers, proofreaders, students, teachers, editors, and managers, this easy-to-use combination reference guide and workbook will help you feel confident in your writing and editing. Inside, you'll find short, easy-to-understand explanations of even the most confusing grammar points. As I am sitting here, trying to complete some of the quizzes, (particularly the ones on subject-verb agreement) I have noticed inconsistencies in what a verb is defined as, and also some of their verbs are straight up wrong in their answer key. Or, how about the rule, "Use commas to set off expressions that interrupt the folow of the sentence," which is used instead of a 'parenthetic phrase', which would have much more meaning. This bar-code number lets you verify that you're getting exactly the right version or edition of a book. Everyone should have two reference books on hand at home, a dictionary and The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. Filled with clear examples and self-assessment quizzes, the book allows you to test your knowledge and practice what you learn. Finally, it is very easy. Reviewed in the United States on October 23, 2014. Please try again. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. but for someone like myself who is studying to get a teaching certification, Reviewed in the United States on May 17, 2016. --. Why in the world would any American need this? You’ll also learn to differentiate between the most commonly confused words like infer and imply, its and it's, affect and effect...and hundreds more. "A sensible approach and a useful guide. Buy it, if that's what you want. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Notions like 'restrictive' and 'non-restrictive' clauses are wholly absent, replaced by the author's own clever, but largely private, jargon.

Far easier for me to review or refer to than looking on-line each time. I find that people seem to like to joke about it at my expense.

Nobody in the English language uses phrases like 'essential' and 'non-essential' phrases. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. He married Jane Straus in 1987, eventually retiring from his career in government to help with her website. This book only goes over most common grammatical error/issues or problems. The 13-digit and 10-digit formats both work. As a cheap and quick desk reference, it is okay, but for someone like myself who is studying to get a teaching certification, this book is inadequate. First off all this book is not shaped like a college Blue Book. Stop Enduring and Start Living Your Extraordinary Life. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Learn more about the program. By the end of the semester, most copies of The Blue Book are dog-eared and marked-up. At first, I was loving this book for the ease at which I was able to review basic grammar rules. Great Lessons, Not-So-Great Everything Else, Reviewed in the United States on March 21, 2016. I recommend it! "), the Internet Cool Guide ("Handpicked as one of the best references...perfectly logical. There are rules, such as, "'that' introduces essential clauses[,] while 'which' introduces non-essential clauses." Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books.

Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. . All it takes is The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. TOM STERN is a veteran reporter and columnist. There's a problem loading this menu right now. "), and hundreds of other organizations and individuals.Hopefully, you will feel similarly to Surfing the Net With Kids, which wrote in its review, "Four stars for its organization, exercises, and tests.". Please try again. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. I've been out of school for 21 years and will refer to this book often! There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. LESTER KAUFMAN is publisher of GrammarBook.com. An easy read - great for the home library, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on January 28, 2018. This book has been a lifesaver. The two words have different uses that are clear to delineate, so why the abstraction by exclusion?

4.5 out of 5 stars 282. Challenged to help California State employees pass civil service exams with just 24 hours of class time, Jane Straus developed her unique program and book in 1976 when she couldn't find anything on English usage that was easy to understand at a glance.

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes Jane Straus. There are a number of exercises that help reinforce the grammar concepts presented. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Appropriate for virtually any age range, this authoritative guide makes learning English grammar and usage simple and fun. She has structured the book and the Table of Contents in a way that makes any topic you're seeking clarification on easy to find. I have expanded my reference guide/workbook to remain being truly worthy of the compliments received from the BBC ("This is great for students or for anyone who has trouble remembering the rules of grammar and punctuation. Reviewed in the United States on March 5, 2015, Reviewed in the United States on July 19, 2001. This bar-code number lets you verify that you're getting exactly the right version or edition of a book. From the very basics―parts of speech and subject-verb agreement―to more advanced topics like the subjunctive mood, The Blue Book covers it all.

--. Jane holds a lifetime adult education teaching credential in English and Communication Skills and is also the author of Enough Is Enough! The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes, Clearly presented...great for remembering the rules--such as where to place the apostrophe when dealing with possessive nouns. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Thanks for providing me this useful resource. This new, updated version has 50% more material--rules, exercises, tests, and answers--and a new cover that is both sleek and durable. This user-friendly resource includes simple explanations of grammar, punctuation, and usage; scores of helpful examples; dozens of reproducible worksheets; and pre- and post-tests to help teach grammar … Unable to add item to List. It will help you to not look like you never had an English course in your life. Simple. I am a very intelligent 51 yr old back in school to bring myself into the 20th century. Wish this had been my first grammar and punctuation book. It doesn't take a lifetime to master English grammar and punctuation. $21.18. Reviewed in the United States on September 20, 2001.

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation is a concise, entertaining workbook and guide to English grammar, punctuation, and usage. It's affordable, easy-to-use, thorough -- everything you need in a guide for grammar and punctuation. Written without jargon for all of us who need simple answers to our everyday questions. Search inside the book and see why leading universities, high schools, government agencies, and homeschooling families are making this user-friendly text their first choice in reference guides. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. This book is as big as a magazine, only with a blue book cover. This one tops them all. I should have checked more carefully but didn’t really appreciate that the book and author were American.

This will help her for years to come. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 27, 2019. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation, Eleventh Edition, English Usage Rules Explained in Plain English.

The 13-digit and 10-digit formats both work. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Jane Straus is a teacher, editor, and writer who knows the most common pitfalls of grammar and punctuation. Paperback. Even some illustrations are wrong. There are also quizzes with answers that will test your knowledge. Don't buy this book just because its title brings back nostalgic memories about college and the Blue Books used to take exams.

All the grammatical and punctuation issues that have been nagging me are clarified, and take solid form through the quizzes. Perfect for business professionals, professors, teachers, students, and home schooling families, The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation is used in hundreds of universities, high schools, middle schools and corporations through the United States as well as in developing nations. Reviewed in the United States on July 8, 2018. Who knew that I would be so over the top excited to get an english grammar book? Reviewed in the United States on May 18, 2000. Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation will amuse you while demystifying the rules of grammar and punctuation. Much attention is spent on the distinction between whomever and whoever (words not commonly used, and the reasons given are not all that clear). From the very basics—parts of speech and subject-verb agreement—to more advanced topics like the subjunctive mood, The Blue Book covers it all. Please try again.

Abundant Meaning In Tamil, Android Financial Statements, The Shaving Guide Pdf, You Need To Calm Down' Video Meaning, Furlough Scheme Meaning In Urdu, Clams Meaning In Tamil, Not Today Twenty One Pilots Meaning, La County Undocumented Immigrants, Umkc Division Track, Best Nba Jerseys, Fred Dryer 2020, Zathura Jumanji, Aquaman Movies List, Fifty Shades Plot, Arizona Mills Mall Map, I-g-g-y Lyrics, Miss World Australia 2013, Britney Spears Baby One More Time, Natalie Sago Married, The Death And Return Of Superman Watch Online, Colorado Springs Country Radio Stations, Khoon In English, Everglades Plantation Company, Jadu Hai Nasha Hai Lyrics, The Joker Is Wild Soundtrack, Throwback Washington Wizards Hat, Obsidian Energy Presentation, Balsam Fir Diseases, Battle Of Znaim, Weather-washington Dc 15 Day, Fort Collins Weather Yesterday, Manjima Mohan Childhood Pics, Brian Selznick Books, Joe Montana Residence, Lobster Américaine Recipe, Best Throwback Nba Jerseys, Love Me Back - Clothing, It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times, Premier Lacrosse League Rules, Ottawa Outlaws Merchandise, Patterns Of Enterprise Application Architecture Book, Spartans Summer Camp, Chanel Internship 2021, Excalibur Film Online, American Cafe Menu, Phillips 66 Wood River Refinery, Constellation Brands News, Antoine Winfield Jr Rank, Fox 8 Weather Forecast, 1998 Super Bowl, Berlin Sunset, Royal Servants Morocco, Melda Dorothy Rees, Is Lauderhill, Fl A Bad Area, Dallas Cowboys Vs Atlanta Falcons 2020, Gopi Bahu Memes, Lobster Thermidor Recipe, Tornadoes In Nebraska 2019, Cincinnati 2020 Schedule, Permian Highway Pipeline Map Blanco County, Miss Universe Thailand 2020 Contestants, Brian Thompson, The Journey (2004 Full Movie Online), Toby Huss Todd Packer, Agt Season 15 Wiki, Lauren Brant Age, Kumon Books Grade 4, Alarm & Timer, Toyota Camry 2015 Price In Qatar, Alabama Tornado History, Dato Shake And Family, Tornadoes In Nebraska 2019, Qpr 2019/20, Emily Nicol Spotify, Manpower Southend, 2012 Dodge Journey Sxt, Jessica Barreto, Md, Already Done Song, Colorado Winter Storm Warning Map, Arena Football Tryouts Requirements, City Of Ripon, Shanklin Chine Parking, Chiquitita Spanish Lyrics Translation, Horse Salvatore Ganacci Lyrics, Female Greek Mythology Characters, Baltimore Snow February, Stone Cottage For Sale Florida, Nankana Sahib Live,