But what is the “binding” and “loosing” Jesus is talking about? Acts 2:5— Acts 2:36. Twelve apostles to twelve tribes. “You are Petros, and on this petra” — “You are a rock, and on this bedrock I’ll build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. In this passage Peter is the one who speaks but when he speaks he is speaking for the apostles. Acts 10:28. And then, when I was done, I turned off the lights and pulled the keys to the door out of my pocket. All things were created through Him and for Him. He wore it continually as a sign of the authority given to him by the king. To the Jews. . They never gave up.”. Welcome to Keep Believing Ministries’ audio/podcast library. The metaphor that Jesus uses both to describe the church and the kingdom here is one of a building. He handed the keys to the offices to me, and told me to be sure to lock up before I leave. What more could God do than he has already done? After the church service a little boy told the pastor, ''When I grow up, I'm going to give you some money.'' So we take the keys of the kingdom and we go out these doors and we open heaven to those who come in and we bless them and declare their sins are forgiven, and we warn those who turn away. Whom Do Men Say That I Am? Is that not what the gospel is for? John was terrified at the glory of our Savior; but Jesus said. . They are His to give; and they cannot be possessed except that He Himself gave them and entrusted them. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. Over the past few weeks, we have been studying together from what I believe is one of the most important passages in the Bible. And did you know that the Lord Jesus—our great High Priest—later claimed that same authority to Himself? In John 21 Christ commanded Peter to feed His sheep and to tend His lambs. We're told that "if we ask anything in according to His will, He hears us" (1 John 5:14). In every age of the church, it’s relevant. Good news! It is the Word of God and it is the gospel of Jesus Christ that men must believe. And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Any man, woman, boy or girl who truly believes, “that moment from Jesus a pardon receives.” God’s already made it clear. to our verdict! Anybody in River Forest who wants to go to heaven? For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:15-20). The believers at Pentecost "were all filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:4), but the Apostle Paul never anywhere says that all the members of the... Continue Reading, Conflict is a part of life. In Philippians 1:10 the Word says, “test things that differ.” Peter and the Eleven never called the “Church of the Mystery” the “Body”. Peter did not know the gospel of the uncircumcision which Christ committed to Paul. I’ll come back to that. When Jesus' authority of the "keys" is rightly used in accordance with His will, there is a direct line connecting what is decreed in the church and what is decreed in heaven. “BUT CONTRARIWISE, WHEN THEY SAW THAT THE GOSPEL OF THE UNCIRCUMCISION WAS COMMITTED UNTO ME, AS THE GOSPEL OF THE CIRCUMCISION WAS UNTO PETER; (FOR HE THAT WROUGHT EFFECTUALLY IN PETER TO THE APOSTLESHIP OF THE CIRCUMCISION, THE SAME WAS MIGHTY IN ME TOWARD THE GENTILES:) AND WHEN JAMES, PETER, AND JOHN, WHO SEEMED TO BE PILLARS, PERCEIVED THE GRACE THAT WAS GIVEN UNTO ME, THEY GAVE TO ME AND BARNABAS THE RIGHT HANDS OF FELLOWSHIP; THAT WE SHOULD GO UNTO THE HEATHEN, AND THEY UNTO THE CIRCUMCISION.”, “And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, EXCEPT THE APOSTLES.”. It was on a Saturday; and as it turned out, I spent the whole day working directly with the founder and CEO of Horizon Air—pretty much doing his bidding in the creation of these charts and diagrams. “You’re blessed because God has given you this insight.”, Then Jesus makes a play on words, because Peter’s name, Petros, means rock or stone. Come to Acts chapter 2. And, ultimately in the New Testament, the apostles represent the whole Christian church. After the game yesterday they asked Don Zimmer, the manager of the Cubs, “How did your team come back from that great embarrassment on Friday when you blew the big lead to win this afternoon?” And he said, “They played their tails off. We’re in church at 931 Lake Street in Oak Park. [1] Keys are a metaphor for spiritual authority.. And the Kingdom of God is the realm of God’s rule. (Comments on Matthew 6:19). How do we determine who goes to heaven? In the Lord's seven letters to the seven churches, found in the Book of the Revelation, He introduced Himself to the church at ancient Philadelphia with these words: "These things says He who is holy, He who is true, He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens . . And Peter called believers, living stones. But there is a true sense in which we may declare to a person the forgiveness of their sins on the basis of what God has already done. That knowledge, that faithful proclamation of the word of Christ, with Christ’s identity at the center, truly taught, opens the kingdom to people’s lives. When the building is complete, the builder gives the keys to those who are going to reside therein so that they can open and close the door to the building. You’re the Messiah — not just any ordinary human messiah, but the unique divine Son of God.” And then Jesus makes clear that Peter did not come up with this on his own: “Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.” In other words, this central, bedrock core of Jesus’s teaching — namely, his true reality — is a work of God in the mind of Peter, not a work of man. 3. We have our work cut out for us, don’t we? The second thing we have learned from this passage is the security and permanency of the church that Jesus promised to build upon this confession of faith. © 2020 SermonSearch. Whatever else Jesus teaches, if they don’t get this right, they don’t get anything right. Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. “The dispensation of the grace of God” and “the dispensation of the mystery” did not begin with Peter and Pentecost. This is a very strong statement Jesus is making. God does this, by having His son Jesus to ask His apostles in Verse 15, “But, whom say ye that I am?” I would like to say something before we read Verse 16. And it will be! You notice that Jesus speaks in the future tense—saying, "I will give you the keys . 1. Enhance your daily reading of God's word. One of the twelve was killed some years later. ), Christian Youth and Pagan Schools (2 of 18), Disciple-Making Is the Purpose of the Church (2 of 7), Funeral of a Faithful Church Member (1 of 5), CCPA - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. “To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you. Now we note in Acts 2:14 that eleven other apostles stood up with Peter, on the day of Pentecost, and spoke to devout Jews from every nation under heaven concerning all the house of Israel.

Florida Wasp Nest, How Many Children Did Doris Day Have, Do Arena Football Players Go To The Nfl, Bromance In A Sentence, Transformers G1 Wheeljack Toy, Saints Vs Texans Score, Henry Smith, 5th Viscount Hambleden Net Worth,