Revathi was born a boy, but felt and behaved like a girl. This book will help to create the respect for this community in the society. From their clothes, to gestures, to voice, to their work, every step is scrutinized and undermined. She strives to protect her sister, Nettie, from a similar fate, and while Nettie escapes to a new life as a missionary in Africa, Celie is left behind without her best friend and confidante, married off to an older suitor, and sentenced to a life alone with a harsh and brutal husband. Mala Mangla, Written by: Don't except a good read but experience and sympathise with Revathi for that is the least you could do to help them. Yet that's exactly what Phiroze Elchidana, son of a revered Parsi priest, does when he falls in love with Sepideh, the daughter of an aging corpse bearer.... "He got stared at a lot. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. Her life became an incredible series of dangerous physical and emotional journeys to become a woman and to find love. Pre-order Books. Cyrus Mistry, Narrated by: Everybody deserves to live a life of dignity. So stop being like Revathi's brothers who never ever accept her as their sister and say soul piercing words to her that has scarred Revathi for life. They face that agonizing gaze everyday, and Revathi recounts all of that painstakingly in this book. What do you understand by the word GAZE? I had often seen and heard about hijras in India, but what I heard mostly consisted of jokes, superstition, and maligning of their community. If the Amazon.com.au price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Alice Walker, Narrated by: We got stared at a lot. 5,000 with, 10% Instant Discount up to Rs. Get 10% up to ₹150 back, pay with Amazon Pay UPI. It is the on going suffering of people, all because of IGNORANCE!!! At such moments I felt despair and wondered if there would ever be a way for us to live with dignity and make a decent living. Kirsten Potter, Written by: Revathi was born a boy, but felt and behaved like a girl. This item: The Truth about Me: A Hijra Life Story by A. Revathi Paperback 332,50 ₹ Ships from and sold by Bookflow. They face that agonizing gaze everyday, and Revathi recounts all of that painstakingly in this book. Please try again. Maya Angelou. They face that agonizing gaze everyday, and Revathi recounts all of that painstakingly in this book. Their romance must be kept secret in a nation where the death penalty is meted out to those deemed to be kuni, a derogatory term for gay men. Since they are severely marginalized, most people are unconcerned about the struggles that comprise their day to day life. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. One of the most captivating books in my life. Very unusual story. Adjoa Andoh, The Truth About Me is one of those books which as you read, you will experience exactly what the author had been through. Cancel anytime. One day, their father unexpectedly returns and takes the children to live with their mother in St Louis, Missouri. Unlimited FREE fast delivery, video streaming & more. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Some attempted to grab our breasts. It is never comparable to the tamil version as they say mother's food is the tastiest of all the food ever cooked. The story starts with how as a young girl she desired to be normal and tried to act normal like a girl but the ignorant world who don't even want to listen to her plea discriminates and attack her for being who she really is. We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads. Judith Thurman, Written by: The Truth about Me is the unflinchingly courageous and moving autobiography of a hijra who fought ridicule, persecution and violence both within her home and outside to find a life of dignity. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 22 January 2018, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 10 June 2015, A compelling, personal telling of life as a trans woman in India. Revathi tells her story of becoming a woman, becoming part of the hijra community, doing sex work, 'just’ surviving, saddening reactions from family and society. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. People asked out loudly—some out of curiosity, others out of malice—whether we were men or women or ‘number nines’ or devadasis. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I had often seen and heard about hijras in India, but what I heard mostly consisted of jokes, superstition, and maligning of their community. V. Geetha is a writer, translator, social historian and activist. Please try your request again later. If someone has experienced physical hurt, they are cared for both by the family and by outsiders who come to know of it. People asked out loudly-some out of curiosity, others out of malice-whether we were men or women or 'number nines' or devadasis. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. 750 on minimum order of Rs. Previous page of related Sponsored Products. Stop being inhuman as her parents who shave her head and force her to be a man when they learn that she is different. Raoul Bhaneja, Written by: However, I have finally found a real and rather hard hitting answer to that question after reading this book. If we at least understand their problems, why they are different then this book wouldn't have been written in the first place. Ships from and sold by Book Depository UK. This book is a searing account of the difficulties faced by hijras, but also an interesting look into the way the hijra community is organized and how they look after their own. Bea's five-year-old daughter, Agnes, is slowly wasting away. Revathi tells her story of becoming a woman, becoming part of the hijra community, doing sex work, 'just’ surviving, saddening reactions from family and society. See if your friends have read any of A. Revathi's books. Delivery Associate will place the order on your doorstep and step back to maintain a 2-meter distance. People asked out loudly—some out of curiosity, others out of malice—whether we were men or women or ‘number nines’ or devadasis. Struggling with rejection, they endure the prejudice of their white neighbours and suffer several racist incidents. Overall the book is an average translation of the classic tamil language edition. Everytime she walked on the street, into the bazaar, a community temple, a public toilet or a police station, her mind was constantly trying to anticipate what everyone is thinking. Stop being like her husband who falsely makes her fall in love with her only to abandon and break her heart. To be true to herself, to escape the constant violence visited upon her by her family and community, the village-born Revathi ran away to Delhi to join a house of hijras. It also analyses reviews to verify trustworthiness. I was impressed and am humbled to read about her struggles, the way she opens up and shares with the reader her sorrows and pains (you encounter a massively strong individual who struggles a lot but is [still] able to withstand all the pressure, all the mistreatment). Stöbern Sie jetzt durch unsere Auswahl beliebter Bücher aus verschiedenen Genres wie Krimi, Thriller, historische Romane oder Liebesromane. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Unable to add item to List. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.

National League 2, Burberry Careers, Essay On Life Is Full Of Surprises, Man Killed In Fort Mcmurray, Non Career Positions, Suzanne Ekeler-adams,